Charting a New Journey

Friday, October 10, 2008

Exclusion


The issue that I'm trying to solve by learning not to seem opinionated is the feeling of exclusion I get so often. I am not able to get close to people or make friends easily. I seem to have a lot of acquaintances, but they're not the kind of people who tell me if they're dating anyone or invite me to parties they're not hosting themselves.


Tonight was a good example. I have no friends at work. I have people I talk to there that I have no connection to outside of work. One coworker asked what was going on this weekend, another mentioned a wine tasting and invited us to go with, then said she'd call to let me know where it is when she's leaving, but never called. Then friends post online that they're bored and looking for plans, but they don't want to hang out and seek a plan together when I offer that. In fact, when they find out about a party they are now "busy" and can't hang out rather than inviting me.


I want to be the kind of person that people like instead of the kind that they avoid. I hope I can learn to do this.

2 Comments:

  • sorry friend...

    By Blogger Jamie, At Saturday, October 11, 2008  

  • I understand where you're coming from. I despise when people invite you somewhere and then don't come through. I think the key will be for you to find people who you actually have things in common with - and you need to make it known that you do have things in common.

    Par Example: Friends at work who love Chicago -seemingly no one, but I make it known that I adore the band. So, one day, a chick came over and said "Hey, I like Chicago..we should go see them" - Here started a wonderful friendship.

    Why do people avoid you?

    By Blogger Katie, At Saturday, October 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home