Charting a New Journey

Friday, July 11, 2008

Analyze This


I wonder how much most people know themselves. I don't feel that I have any clue how most people perceive me. I wouldn't be surprised if I were some extremely ugly dork or if I was some kind of unapproachable bad-ass.

People always talk about self-esteem like my thoughts on how others perceive me means I'm either arrogant or depressed. Other people's perceptions of me don't change what I think of me. That's how they think. And me... why would I have a perception of myself? What would I even base it on? What do I care whether I like how I look or how I behave? I have no care at all whether I'm attractive to myself. I care greatly about whether I attract others. To most people this seems like low self-esteem but in reality it just means that I am goal oriented.

I think thoughts of compromising myself don't occur to me because the few beliefs I hold and care about are strong convictions. Things like being vegan, being open and honest, being kind, are all things I have no intention of changing. But beyond core philosophies I don't care about how I express myself.

If I don't care at all about a topic, but other people do, then I should attempt to satisfy others if it meets my goals. For instance, I don't care how I look. I rarely ever have to look at myself. But I do care about romantic love, sex, attraction, dates. Probably in that order. Looks aren't the only thing I have no interest in. Fashion, ways of behaving, activities...


This means I'm extremely adaptable. I am willing to be whatever it takes to please others often. Not because I need to please other people and sacrifice "who I am" for that. Rather, I have little self-identity and my goal is to be surrounded by good people. Working towards that goal means becoming whatever kind of person attracts the people I like most. I don't care what kind of person that is. I have no desire to be any particular thing. I just desire to be surrounded by people I admire and enjoy.

So... when I actually like someone, it hurts to not be liked back. This is not a romantic thing, but even just as friends. That is because it means I failed. Not that I am a bad person because one person doesn't like me, but rather than my whole goal of being likable to the people I like most isn't working. That is very bad in the big picture. I want badly to perfect this ability to befriend the people I find worthwhile.


This blog feels like it's rambling. I keep forgetting where I'm going with all this. So I'd like to know what I'm like. Who I am. How you perceive me. But I'm a skeptic. When people describe me I'm always discounting what they say. I mean, most of society tries to be nice. Daily I see people lie and say someone's hair looks nice or that they're feeling fine when they're not. I assume all compliments of me are fake and give them almost no weight. Even insults are often derived just to hurt someone or are at least not the whole truth.

It's hard to know where I really stand. I tend to judge people by their actions instead of words. By whether a person wants to spend time with me and make me a priority in their life. By that standard I don't think I'm doing well. I make a lot of effort to be out doing things. I participate in many events and have met a TON of people since coming to Austin. I haven't made many friends. I fill my life with strangers who don't want to get to know me better. I have some great friends, but things certainly haven't met my expectations lately. Maybe most people don't seek to have deep relationships where they open up and share their lives. It could be that I'm just expecting something most people don't want to do.


I think this is one reason I'm so focused on dating. My romantic relationships have been very deep emotional connections with other people. I have been best friends with all of my girlfriends. I haven't been close to anyone in about a year now. I miss that feeling.

4 Comments:

  • i miss that feeling too. my dad says that its all a part of growing up. He says things like, "Jamie, it'll never be like it was in college." I disagree, I think its totally possible to have those deeply rooted frienships at any point in life and it sucks when you can't find it...I promised myself I wouldn't give up...its gotta be out there somewhere...

    By Blogger jamie, At Monday, July 14, 2008  

  • I just adore the little pictures you're using in your blogs.

    That being said, I really wish that I had the opportunity of spending time with you (not a pick up line, I swear!) so I could really see how you interact with people. BUT from what I've learned from reading what you write, which can be alot, I can see you're a caring person, who really wants to be engaged in meaningful relationships with people. Romantic or not romantic - though romantic has a special glow to it. It's difficult to find, and though "You don't find it, it finds you" applies here, I don't think that will satisfy you. I don't know that you want to "wait for it"...

    I think YOU need to find who you are. And be that. I saw a quote today and I instantly thought of you for some odd reason. (Probably because I was reading your blog when I was asked to find a quote for the board at work) "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." says John Wooden.

    Right now you "Cannot find a deep friendship that makes you happy", "Cannot find someone who sees you as romantically appealing", etc. ... Well, what CAN you do? That's the first step, I think. Realizing what you can do, and consistently doing it.

    Disclaimer: This response is filled with assumptions, and if they are wrong, whoops!!! :)

    By Blogger Katie, At Tuesday, July 15, 2008  

  • I agree. I just have this feeling that I can do anything I want at any time. So when I fail it seems like I'm doing something wrong. My expectations are high.

    Patience doesn't seem relevant to me because I'm in the position where I meet enough people and have the opportunities patience is supposed to give someone. I meet tons of people, am very social, etc. I'm doing something wrong.

    I have a hard time adjusting expectations. I'd rather just improve myself and find a way to become best friends with people and get dates at will. I'm pretty sure there's a way. I just don't have it yet.

    So tired... bed time.

    By Blogger MarkJD, At Wednesday, July 16, 2008  

  • Unless you have some sort of hideous trait about you, then I think you shouldn't adjust yourself. I've had more luck with relationships in which I am who I am, and not who I made myself become.

    It baffles me to know you don't have any meaningful relationships out there. Maybe its location. Come to Jersey, haha :)

    By Blogger Katie, At Wednesday, July 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home