Charting a New Journey

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Adjusting Expectations

I had a great 2008. I hung out with a lot of fun people and went to a ton of parties. Unfortunately I wasn't able to become friends with those people so other than the large parties, I don't know what's going on in their lives and we don't associate.

So now I feel gaps forming. I spent Saturday night at home reading. Not something I wanted to do, but everyone I know was busy with something they didn't invite me to. That's happening more and more often. I am very open and inviting. When I do things I invite almost everyone I know. It's a bit of effort, but it kept me social. It was how I got to spend time with people... because they don't invite me to their activities.

I'm giving up on that. I can think of 3 people that try to spend time with me. I have to change my expectations. It's hard to let go of thinking that I should be out being social when I know so clearly that the people I used to hang out with are having a game night, camping, a burger tasting, going downtown, celebrating a birthday, or whatever else I'm not invited to.

So I'm having a hard time lately. Being rejected as a friend by everyone I meet is harder than being rejected romantically. Work is harder than being at home because I'm surrounded by coworkers that don't like me and I can't escape. They don't do anything mean to me, they just avoid me.

I wish I knew what is so unattractive about me. I've been trying to figure that out for a long time, so in a couple years I imagine I'll just give up and spend my days alone reading and watching TV.

5 Comments:

  • Did you even consider talking to the friends and seeing why you're not involved in the plans that they're making?!

    By Blogger Katie, At Tuesday, February 10, 2009  

  • Did you ever think that maybe *they* aren't worth your time? Maybe you can try upgrading to different friends, not degrade yourself to fit in with children.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tuesday, February 10, 2009  

  • I have tried the talking thing. People either aren't very honest or aren't very in touch with the motivations for their actions. They do not have answers as to why they do things or why I'm not thought as someone to invite.

    As for the second answer... it just seems too broad to me. That I could know SO many people and yet not really make a top 10 list for more than one or two of them.

    Maybe a lot of it is me projecting my own way of life onto others. I could argue that my expectations that they're going out every night and excluding me could sometimes be wrong because they might stay in many nights or maybe none of them have close friendships.

    But I know that's not true. I know they are out and about with people I know just not inviting me. This blog is a quest to find out how I can become a more likable person.

    I once thought the answer was to be more emotional. More in touch with my instincts. I was very much the opposite of this 15 years ago. But that has not been a solution... Still, I shouldn't ignore how social I've been lately. I chalk most of my social activities up to my adventure-seeking personality and this awesome city though. Few of my activities happen because I have good friends who invite me.

    It is something I will think about further...

    By Blogger MarkJD, At Tuesday, February 10, 2009  

  • This blog is like a place to vent for me. I am not writing now that I'm in a great mood.

    By Blogger MarkJD, At Thursday, February 12, 2009  

  • I always know that when you're not blogging that everything is going well.

    That's how good of a blog buddy I am =P

    By Blogger Katie, At Tuesday, February 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home